Training & Counselling Workshops
Prevention as Intervention
Taking action early on can prevent more serious problems from developing in the future. Focusing solely on treatment and neglecting prevention is like trying to fix an overflowing sink by mopping up the floor. If you had focused on preventing the problem in the first place, you might not be in this mess.
Horizon provides different culturally sensitive professional training & workshops for different sectors and the public:
- Professional training for allied professions
- Education and information for students
- Training for student leadership programs and peer helpers
- Information sessions for parent groups, ESL classes, college and university classes, community groups, and treatment programs
- Drama projects and awareness booths
- Training for community professionals
- On-campus awareness initiatives for college and university students
Past trainings and workshops include:
- Understanding how our brains work – VCH addiction physicians
- Addressing the needs of culture in today’s diverse communities – Diversity Symposium (City of Richmond)
- How much is too much? – VCH professional training for VCH staff and SUCCESS helplines
- Gaming dialogue – Richmond public library & South Vancouver Neighbour house
- Healthy transitioning to retirement life – SUCCESS and CCM
- Unlocking gambling in Chinese history – Community front line workers
- Effective ways to maintain an honest and safe relationship – CCM
Community Development and Initiative
Everyone belongs to at least one community. We shape the community and the community shapes us. It is important to actively take part to develop it.
The United Nations defines community development as "a process where community members come together to take collective action and generate solutions to common problems." It is a process where people come together to take action on what's important to them.
To successfully develop a community, it is important to work alongside people in the community to help build relationships with key people and organizations and to identify common concerns. It helps the community to learn new skills and enables people to act together to foster social inclusion and equality.
Horizon can help to design specific strategies and programs for healthy community shaping. It involves providing training and consultation to groups and individuals, facilitating community events and exploring solutions for community issues.